X3Dv4 Implementations Status
X3Dv4 implementations are under way. X3D® Version 4 (X3Dv4) is a major upgrade to the Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics International Standard that provides close support for the HTML5 Recommendation.
X3D activity includes over 20 years of progressive evolution that maintains durable stability and backwards compatibility. The best way to introduce new capabilities is to propose them on the x3d-public mailing list so that they can be considered in detail. Then we add an agenda item to the next X3D Working Group teleconference so that the proposed capability can be discussed. Then, away we go:
- Specification Prose: produce new X3D Architecture Specification sections that also align with W3C HTML5/DOM Recommendations.
- Evaluate Examples: using all available X3D implementations and ~3500 models in X3D Example Archives.
- Finalize and Review: iteratively improve specification, implementations and examples until success thresholds are met.
- 26-31 July 2019. Publish draft specification plus examples and implementation updates at Web3D2019/SIGGRAPH 2019 conferences.
- 16 December 2019. Working group closes new-technology submissions, finalize all efforts. Prepare ISO NWIP document.
- First quarter 2020. Working Draft submitted to X3D Community, Web3D Consortium members, Web3D Board and ISO.
|X3D Specification Paragraphs||Examples||Implementations||Tooltips, links to Validation||Notes|
|Annotation||42 Annotation component||TODO||Xj3D (partial)||Work in progress by Design Printing Scanning and Medical Working Groups|
|Event model alignment||TODO modifications to Concepts, 4.4.8 Event model||X_ITE (complete), X3DOM (partial)||X3D Script/ROUTE events via DEF, HTML5/DOM events via id, browsers exchange event changes after render loops|
|Field name changes||Affects child SF/MFNode field naming for ~10 nodes||X3D-Tidy conversion updates once resolved||See Potential future changes for improved consistency of field names|
|glTF file loading||Multiple nodes for scene graph integration and advanced rendering||X3DOM, others||glTF closely related to Lighting model, also provides geometric compression.|
26 Humanoid Animation (HAnim) component, updating HAnimHumanoid and adding HAnimMotion node for BVH-style motion animation
|TODO update Basic Archives: HAnim||
Ready for update by other existing applications.
|HAnimMotion, HAnimHumanoid||HAnim v2 is undergoing ISO Final Draft International Standard editors review, expected completion 7 August 2019.|
Allow loading other model types, security precautions
TODO support STL, PLY?
TODO add new capabilities while retaining optional backwards compatibility with X3Dv3
|Satisfactory review by X3D Working Group of Physically Based Rendering (PBR) proposals by Michalis Kamburelis|
|Metadata field defaults||Reduce verboseness of MetadataSet structures||Mantis 1092, primary effect limited to XML encoding defaults|
ready for more implementations
|Projective Texture Mapping (PTM)||43. Projective Texture Mapping Component||TODO publish||TODO|
|Volume Rendering||Draft prose refinements needed for ImageTextureAtlas and MultiPlanar Reconstruction MPRVolumeStyle nodes||TODO needed||X3DOM||Satisfactory initial review by Medical and X3D Working Groups of specification drafts by Ander Arbelaiz VicomTech|
|Layout||36 Layout Component||Few exist||Few exist||TODO update||
Requirements and References
- X3D v4 Strategy provides "big picture" overview of Web3D Consortium activities.
- X3D v4 Implementation Status is this document, which tracks overall progress.
- X3D version 4 Development lists numerous technical goals and requirements, each graduating to this document.
- Web3D Standards Adoption Process is working satisfactorily, collaboration is a powerful mechanism for success.
- Web3D Consortium Github Repository is available to members for editing draft X3Dv4 specification.
All technical issues are advancing satisfactorily with steady progress. Greater participation speeds progress.
- Web3D member-only information is carefully noted and separately published on firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list.
- X3D working group weekly meeting minutes are primarily posted publicly to build understanding and momentum.
For best progress, we have multiple tasks pending and welcome all participation. Each new contributor is valued and will benefit also.
- Dr. Dick Puk and Dr. Don Brutzman: ISO specification drafts and revisions on member-only github site.
- Dr. Nicholas Polys: Medical and Heritage working groups.
- Dr. Vince Marchetti: Design Printing and Scanning (DPS) Working Group.
- Dr. Michalis Kamburelis: glTF, lighting, physically based materials, shaders, additional advanced topics.
- Dr. Andreas Plesch: software development trees, testing X_ITE and X3DOM with HTML browsers.
- Holger Seelig: X_ITE player and Titania authoring tool.
- Dr. Kwan Hee Yoo: Projective Texture Mapping (PTM) component.
- Ander Arbelaiz and Dr. Nicholas Polys: Volume rendering component.
- Dr. Athanasios Malamos and Efi Lakka: Audio and sound improvements.
- Dr. Jakub Flotynski, Dr. Athansios Malamos, Dr. Leslie Sikos and Dr. Don Brutzman: X3D Semantic Web Ontology.
- WebXR representative needed.
X3D File Encodings and Programming Language Bindings
- X3D Graphics Standards: Specification Relationships shows how multiple file encodings and language bindings relate.
- X3D Resources: Example Archives show all file encodings for thousands of X3D examples.
- X3D Resources: Programming Languages summarizes programming library efforts.