Why Use X3D
Many reasons make X3D Graphics a great choice for publishing your Web content.
Free and open
- Open source and commercial tools are both widely available
- Many free resources, and all results are royalty free - authors own their models!
- Numerous resources, examples, tooltips, tools, and documentation sources
- International standard that lasts for years and decades
- Co-evolving with DICOM, HL7, ISO, OGC, Khronos, and W3C standards for interoperability and convergence
X3D is the only international standard for the delivery and integration of interactive 3D data over networks.
- Open Standard 3D graphics format for the Web
- Runs on all devices and platforms without plug-ins
- It’s Royalty free – Own your content no reliance on proprietary formats
- Provides multiple content sources and authoring pathways
- Multiple formats: XML, Binary, VRML-Classic, JSON and PYTHON.
- Sustainable, Scalable & Secure ISO Standard
- Displays in VR environments: Oculus Rift, Cardboards & Caves
- Designed and developed through the open source community, along with industry and government involvement
Modern graphics, animation, interaction and Security
- 3D geometry can be bundled directly with animation and user interaction
- Scenes can run on many platforms, from mobile platforms to caves
- Scenes also run on any operating systems, accessible to any programming language
- Addresses all needs for display of Geospatial 3D graphics
- Provide interactive and immersive 3D experience to build highly detailed synthetic spaces
- Efficient compressed binary encodings provide smaller file sizes with high performance
- Reuseable record-based security of 3D models using XML Encryption (privacy) and XML Digital Signature (authoritative authentication)
- Excellent compatibility with HTML5 and other Web Standards including XML Security
- X3D 4.0: Complete HTML5 Integration - X3DOM and X_ITE open source Implementations
- Models have archival stability that stand the test of time
- Supports Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML97 and ClassicVRML) encodings
- XML-based .x3d encoding has numerous validation and quality assurance (QA) tests
- Interoperable with other standards, also between applications and platforms
The International Standards Organization (ISO) has released its second case study in two years detailing the benefits to companies by implementing standards. The benefits accrue independent of size, bsuiness sector, or country. The reports quantifies benefits in:
- Streamlining internal company processes
- Decreasing waste and internal costs
- Increasing the efficiency of R&D
- Innovating business processes
- Reducing risk
- Enabling international expansion
- Supporting development of new products and markets
The studies are compiled in the second volume of Economic benefits of standards - International case studies, recently published by ISO.
The case studies (Volume 1 and 2) along with a number of reports from ISO are available on ISO's web site.