Web3D User Experience
The Web3DUX develops and demonstrates best practices for X3D support of rich user experiences for a variety of Web3D technologies.
Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) working group
The Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) Working Group's mission is to establish best practices and standardized capabilities that support rich user experiences (UX), intuitive navigation, and effective interaction techniques for a variety of 3D Web technologies.
- We meet bi-weekly on Wednesday 10:15 - 11:00 am (Pacific time) [Timezone converter]
- Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
- Meetign ID: 816 3467 0698 Meeting Passsword: 483805
- Topics of broad interest are reported on x3d-public mailing list to motivate discussions
Web3DUX Working Group includes diverse activity and collaboration by stakeholder professionals in Web3D, User Experience (UX), Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), mixed/extended reality (XR), User Accessibility, and Data Science. Goals include establishing standard measurements for user experience on 3D interactive applications, maximizing play-anywhere Web compatibility across platforms and devices, demonstrating best practices for conducting usability studies in 3D applications, and exploring the opportunity to generate personalized UX. End users perform work across a broad range of domains and have diverse skills, experience, goals, and needs. User accessibility issues often include profound variations across these same themes. Producing exemplars that provide value across such a wide variety of objectives can help establish best practices and repeatable patterns of success.
Motivations, Goals and Objectives
See the Web3DUX Working Group Charter for our motivations, goals and objectives.
Many inter-related tasks aim to achieve the following overall outcomes.
- Establish standardized measurement for user experience on 3D interactive applications
- Define the minimum set of interactive capability within 3D interactive applications
- Identify and share best user experience practices in Web3D or mobile 3D applications
- Provide procedures and tools for usability studies in 3D environments on multi-platforms, including, 3D Web applications, and 3D AR/VR applications
- Promote a responsive 3D environment that integrates multiple sensory stimuli over different platforms
- Evaluate the accessibility of Web3D and mobile 3D applications
- Promote user experience empowered by personalized behavior and interaction data in 3D applications
- Identify health, safety and security issues related with VR/AR/XR, wearable devices and Web3D applications
- Identify and ensure best practices for protecting the rights and welfare of human research subjects, especially concerning a review process with Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Related Working Groups
All currently active Web3D working groups are likely to inform, adopt and demonstrate this work. Activities of this working group include:
- Regularly invite new members to join
- Assess current work on UX for 3D applications and/or 3D components in 2D web applications with respect to major interaction tasks:
- Object selection and manipulation
- System control
- Use consistent data logging for usability studies
- Assess compatible accessibility for 3D applications across multiple platforms
- Support conduct of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research with user behavior data