X3D Version 4 Overview
X3D® Version 4 (X3Dv4) is a major upgrade to the Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics International Standard that provides close support for the HTML5 Recommendation. This is major work in progress, expected to include several future versions. This effort is driven by the X3D Graphics Working Group with contributions from other working groups and daily community outreach.
- Features. X3Dv4 Highlights provides a quicklook of major features under development.
- Tracking. X3Dv4 Implementations Status provides summary links tracking active efforts.
- Preview. X3Dv4 Public Working Draft Specification first release for Web3D 2019 and SIGGRAPH conferences.
- Current. X3Dv4 Draft is Moving In Fast: 3D Everywhere! presentation from Web3D 2019 Conference, Los Angeles, 26-28 July 2019.
- Last year. X3D Futures: what is happening, how to get involved! presentation from Web3D 2018 Conference, Poznan Poland, 22 June 2018.
- Launch. Future of X3D presentation and detailed notes from Web3D 2017 Conference, Brisbane Australia, 7 June 2017 (photograph).
X3D is always evolving, and the Web3D Consortium Standards Strategy carefully guides all these improvements. X3D Version 4 enables authors to publish interactive 3D content anywhere on the Web, without restrictions or plugins. Next-generation evolution + revolution is combined with archival compatibility of existing legacy content. Please see:
- Working-set wish list: X3D Version 4.0 Technical Development shows evolutionary plans for baseline X3D architecture.
- X3D Version 4.1 will add Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) capabilities for diverse virtual and augmented reality (VR, AR) devices.
- Discussions at Web3D 2019 indicate we may be ready to resume competitive comparison of compression techniques in X3Dv4.1.
Normalizing interaction (event model) semantics with HTML5 can further open up X3D for the vast majority of Web authors. The Web3D Consortium has identified X3DOM and X_ITE as prototypes for the next generation X3D Version 4.0 that support direct integration into HTML5 webpages without requiring the use of any browser plug-in. The Consortium and the X3D community are working closely with open-source exemplars to maintain and expand the X3D standard as it progresses and moves into full browser support. The Consortium also continues to support all existing X3D and VRML content.
Steady progress towards X3D Version 4 continues. We cordially invite you to Join Web3D as we continue to reliably build a stable foundation that establishes 3D graphics as a "first-class citizen" in the World Wide Web.