workflows to generate X3D scenes from STEP files
Three workflows to generate X3D scenes from STEP files were used.
- Examples with names ending with Cadex were converted to X3D files using the CAD Exchanger application.
- Examples with names ending with Occ were converted using pythonOCC, a Python language binding to the OpenCascade open source CAD library. An example Python script for performing the STEP conversion is in the X3D public wiki.
- Examples with names ending with Spri were converted using the SPRI online converter. A conversion using this web application using a web browser has following steps:
- Upload the STEP file using upload form at STEP File Upload
- On successful upload and reading of STEP file, navigate through the Assemblies link.
- Choose the assembly to convert to X3D, navigate through the X3DOM rendering link. The NIST examples here only contain one assembly per example file.
- The X3D file can be download using the Download as X3D File on the resulting page with X3DOM rendering.
Additional reference: STEP to X3D Conversion Routes.