This page guides you though the process of displaying X3D content.
The first step is to determine the X3D viewer you wish to use to view the content. If the content is yours, you would decide based on your needs and display requirements. All the resources listed here are open-source.
X3D Viewer Choices
X3D Browser-based Viewers (Distribute on the Web)
X-ITE - Publish X3D in a HTML5 Web browser without a plugin. This gives X3D authors the ability to display content in 3D, using WebGL in several different browsers across several different operating systems. Since X3D is backwardly compatible, X_ITE can also be used as a VRML viewer. Free for non-commercial and commercial purposes.
X3D Stand-alone Viewers (If you already have a .x3d file - open the file using the below standalone options)
view3dScene - A 3D viewer for X3D. Explore the virtual world with collisions, gravity, animations, sensors, shadows, mirrors, shaders and more. Free for non-commercial and commercial purposes.
FreeWRL - FreeWRL is an X3D/VRML open source viewer for Windows, Linux, OSX and Android. Free for non-commercial and commercial purposes.
Depending on the choice above you will either need to load the content on your computer (for Stand-Alone) or create a web page.
Browser-based viewers generally require that the content be loaded from a web server. You will need to check with the specific viewer.
Once the above is complete, you can load the content into the X3D Viewer (either through URL or file) and go!
Here are some examples of open-source viewer implementations and content
- X3D Viewers
- X3DOM ( learn more at: https://doc.x3dom.org/tutorials/basics/hello/index.html)
- X-ITE ( learn more at: https://create3000.github.io/x_ite/ )
- view3dScene ( learn more at: https://castle-engine.io/view3dscene.php )
- Teapot: https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/CadTeapotIndex.html
- X3D Examples: https://freewrl.sourceforge.io/examples.html
- glTF Sample Models: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models/blob/master/2.0/READM...
- glTF Showcase Sample Assets: https://github.com/DrX3D/glTF-Sample-Models/blob/main/Models-showcase.md