Projects Wish List
Projects Wish List
Motivated individuals with software development skills and Web authoring experience are welcome to start, or help develop, any of these candidate projects. Diverse talents are needed... maybe you too? There are excellent opportunities here!
- X_ITE (formerly Cobweb) is an excellent codebase with many features available and excellent coverage.
- X3DOM has node and component support that lacks Prototypes, NURBS, Scripts, Event Utilities, ViewpointGroup.
- Implement proposed Annotation Component for HTML-compatible display for CAD, Medical and other applications.
- Implement proposed Projective Texture Modeling (PTM) component.
- 3D printer and scanner support for X3D:
- Are equipment surveys for X3D-compatible printers and scanners available, or should we together build them?
- 3D printing export converters: Stereo Lithography (STL), Additive Manufacturing File Format (AMF) and 3MF model formats.
- Enabling direct import of content into NIH 3D Print Exchange and other model exchanges for VR and AR applications.
- Web3D Design Printing and Scanning Working Group is actively these topics.
- Support for publishing X3D models in Wikipedia using X_ITE or X3DOM.
- Example X3D scenes for the open-source X3D Examples archives showing:
- X3D Conversions capabilities:
- X3D Server virtual machine autoconfiguration:
- Image support:
- Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) as an X3D ImageTexture, and X3D-SVG-HTML animation examples.
- DICOM image loader - discussion email thread.
- DICOM/3D File overlay in a web-browser.
- DICOM to STL or X3D files for VR rather than physical models (for transparencies etc.).
- Available Datasets: DICOM, STL or X3D files of hearts.
- Unity Game Manager support for X3D exporter and X3D scene loader:
- X3D Unified Object Model for Scene Access Interface (SAI) integration with major tools and applications:
- Codebases autogenerated from X3D Object Model such as X3D Java Scene Access Interface (SAI) Library (X3DJSAIL).
- GNU Octave (with Octave-Forge) supports a high-level interpreted language for numerical computations, similar to Matlab.
- More candidate projects can follow... additional project proposals are welcome.
Web3D Consortium wants to help incentivize these efforts. Candidate awards for great work include:
- Consortium announcements on web3d.org website and Twitter giving credit and announcing availability.
- One year's free Professional Membership in Web3D Consortium.
- Free registration for the next VR Hackathon or Web3D Conference.
- Bragging rights in some kind of Web3D Developers Hall of Fame.
- Web3D members who really want certain results might offer special rewards.
- Got questions or ideas? Please Contact Us.
Further Improvements to Projects Wish List
Web3D Consortium is happy to add new projects here.
- X3D working group moderates community dialog and development.
- All working groups have opportunity to add and guide projects.
- Board of Directors approves awards and is advised regarding of major new efforts.
- Communications Team publicly reports significant opportunities and progress.
Is the list growing too large? We may need to avoid collecting too many - that's a good problem to have!
Additional ideas welcome, thanks for considering the possibilities.