W3C TPAC 2017: Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee
Web3D Consortium has had multiple interactions at W3C TPAC 2017: Combined Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee Meetings Week, 6-10 November 2017. TPAC brings together World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Technical Groups, the Advisory Board, the TAG and the Advisory Committee for an exciting week of coordinated work.
The benefit of face-to-face meetings and discussions is invaluable. An intense schedule supports collaboration by many working groups and additional special activities. Events of interest include:
- Declarative WebVR Community Group with Web3D presentation X3D Capabilities for Declarative Virtual Reality (VR).
- W3C Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Working Group meetings on high-performance compression/loading, useful for large X3D models.
- W3C Audio Working Group for improved capabilities to enhance 3D spatial auralization of large scenes in future X3D v4.0.
- Evening W3C Developers Meetup with excellent Samsung @GearVRf demos and presentation noting use of X3D/X3DOM for rapid prototyping.
- First-ever W3C Executive Forum which included panelist insights on industry development of WebVR software/hardware.
- First-ever W3C Publishing Summit discussing progress and strategies with recently merged International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). Web3D members are exploring how X3D might be applied in Publishing@W3C.
- Dataset Exchange Working Group (DXWG) (charter) whose focus includes metadata, Semantic Web, and application profiles for data on the Web.
Highlights of TPAC 2017 events and presentations can be found on our @Web3dConsortium Twitter feed.
Vision, planning, participation and plain-old cooperative work is essential for achieving consensus for broad progress. The benefits and progress that flow from collaborative working-group efforts are unsurpassed. As described in our testimonial, Web3D Consortium members are proud of our contributions and co-evolution together with W3C throughout the past 18 years.
Interested in participating? Inquiries are welcome. Please contact us with any questions you may have on the use of X3D Graphics International Standard for real-time 3D communication in VR, AR, digital publishing, and on the Web.