Nearby: X3D CAD Executive Summary
X3D CAD Working Group
The X3D CAD Working Group is now entering its third generation of development effort. Following many years of steady progress by Web3D members, we transitioned our efforts to the Web3D Public X3D Wiki in 2011. Further productive work continues steadily, summarized in the CAD Working Group Executive Summary and guided by the CAD Working Group Strategy.
Our current activities include:
- Consolidating, reporting and linking past achievements with CAD Geometry Component in X3D
- Continuing implementation of the X3D Compressed Binary Encoding (CBE) for reduced file size and faster loading performance
- Continuing the implementation and evaluation of Boundary Representations (B-REPS) in X3D
- Considering the use of Macro-Parametric Translation for conversion of many CAD formats into X3D
- Building a set of example models to confirm correct operation and encourage the evolution of best practices
Working group co-chairs are:
- Don Brutzman, Naval Postgraduate School USA
- Hyokwang Lee, KAERI/Web3D Korea Chapter/PartDB
- Vince Marchetti, KShell USA
- Marc Petit, Electricite de France (EDF)
Please check out the X3D CAD People page where we summarize our interests. New participants are welcome.
- The X3D CAD Component summary slideset describes current and planned capabilities
- E-mail list for Web3D CAD working group members: firstname.lastname@example.org with subscription page
- CAD Example Scenes are being added as part of the XD Basic Examples Archive
- Recent X3D specification status is recorded at CAD Component changes for X3D v3.3 (members only), and X3D CAD Component modifications have been submitted to ISO
- X3D v3.4 CAD Improvements needed for improved support in X3D CAD Component and CAD Interchange Profile.
- Survey report TC184 Visualization Requirements for X3D CAD evaluates X3D suitability for CAD
- Corresponding ISO response ISO TC184/SC4 Comparison Report evaluating COLLADA, X3D, 3D XML, JT, and U3D
- Prior work, still continuing: Boundary Representations (B-REPS)
- Work in progress: X3D CAD Macro-Parametric Approach for Translation
- STEP-NC WebGL Demo A summary of the relation between a recently developed WebGL application for CAD/CAM content and X3D.
- X3D_NURBS A list of links and notes useful to NURBS users and implementers in X3D.
- Members-only wiki
- X3D CAD Howto - Work just started, please contribute
- Stamp_X3D - The X3D Stamp
- List of computer-aided design editors
Events and Meetings
We hold teleconferences every other week at alternating times for Korea-USA and Korea-Europe discussion:
- Korea-USA : 17:00 PST 2nd Wednesday (10:00 KST 2nd Thursday)
- Next meeting : To be scheduled
- Korea-Europe : 13:00 UTC last Thursday (15:00 FST, 22:00 KST)
- Next meeting : To be scheduled
Several Web3D presentations at SIGGRAPH 2011 covered CAD topics:
- Lee, Hyokwang (PartDB): CAD to X3D Conversion with CAD Assembly Structure
- Keil, Jens (Fraunhofer): Extending X3D for AR/MR Apps includes multiple slides (6 7 14-19 24-25 29-31 38 51) demonstrating industrial CAD applications of Augmented Reality
Web3D and SIGGRAPH 2012
- CAD Working Group meeting : Friday 3 August 10:00-13:00 PDT at Hilton Checkers Hotel
- CAD BoF : Tuesday 7 August 11:00 AM - 12:00 Noon
Web3D Seoul Meeting 2013
- CAD Working Group meeting : Monday 28 January 09:00-10:30 KST at Seoul Palace Hotel (Sunday 27 January 16:00-17:30 PST)
Web3D Seoul Meeting 2014
- CAD Working Group meeting : Tuesday 27 January 15:30-17:00 KST at Seoul Palace Hotel (Tuesday 27 January 22:30-24:00 PST)
Next Steps and Future Work
- New. X3DOM CAD page, for discussion during teleconferences Friday 29 March 2013
- X3D Binary Compression Capabilities and Plans describes work in progress. Performance improvements are dramatic. Some further efforts are needed to ensure compliance and conformance by each implementation.
- Continue building exporters and posting translation examples online.
- Encourage every browser to complete their profile support for CAD model conversion to X3D.
- Update this wiki to include all aspects of a working group charter.
- Design a cool logo, both in 2D and 3D! A special prize will be awarded to whoever wins working-group approval for their design.