Geospatial Working Group Charter
The Geospatial Working Group develops standards-based 3D visualization infrastructure for visualizing all manner of real-world objects and information constructs in a geospatial context. Archivability of models using stable tools and open international standards can ensure that 3D work can remain accessible and repeatable for years to come. Motivations are:
- 3D geospatial content needs to be openly available over the long term
- Using standards-based 3D minimizes future rework
- Provide a strong foundation that can take advantage of emerging technologies
The Geospatial Working Group applies the Web architecture, XML languages, and open protocols to build a standards-based specification usable by governments, industry, scientists, academia, and the general public. Geospatial efforts encompass client-side, server-side, authoring, and data-conversion technologies. Specific objectives include:
- Ease presentation and interaction with public and private geospatial data in 3D
- Integrate geospatial capabilities with X3D technologies to maximize interoperability
- Evolve the specification to meet the needs of the geospatial community
The mission of the Geospatial Working Group is to promote spatial data use within X3D via open architectures and our vision is to make it easier to create and use 3D spatial data.
The Geospatial Working Group follows the practices declared in Working Group Practices.
The Geospatial Working Group holds a monthly teleconference and annual face-to-face meetings at the Siggraph and Web3D conferences.
Dependencies and Liaisons
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- The Synthetic Environment Data Representation & Interchange Standards (SEDRIS) Organization
- International Standards Organization (ISO) ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
Working group communications are published in the Geospatial members-only mailing list. At the discretion of the Working Group, information may also be released to the public.
The Geospatial Working Group maintains a Working Group page on the Web3D Consortium website and a members-only mailing list.
This charter was approved by the Web3D Consortium Board of Directors on 2017-01-09