Web3D Consortium Public X3D Wiki
- 1 Web3D Consortium Public X3D Wiki
- 1.1 Active X3D Working Groups: Public Pages
- 1.1.1 X3D Working Group
- 1.1.2 Current activities
- 1.1.3 Access and Participation
- 1.1.4 X3D and Augmented Reality Continuum (ARC) Working Group: AR Extensions for X3D
- 1.1.5 X3D CAD Working Group: Computer Aided Design (CAD) Extensions for X3D
- 1.1.6 X3D Earth Working Group for geospatial representations
- 1.1.7 X3D H-Anim Working Group: Humanoid Animation (H-Anim)
- 1.1.8 X3D Medical Working Group: Volume visualization and Medical uses
- 1.2 X3D Special Interest Groups: Public Pages
- 1.3 About X3D
- 1.4 X3D Community Information
- 1.5 Technology Contributions
- 1.6 X3D Resources
- 1.7 Web3D Chapters
- 1.8 About the Public and Members-Only X3D Wiki
- 1.1 Active X3D Working Groups: Public Pages
Active X3D Working Groups: Public Pages
X3D Working Group
- The X3D Working Group is the main forum for coordinating all X3D specification activities, including other working groups.
- This group also performs future X3D design, resolution of X3D specification comments, and review of X3D implementation resources.
- Working group teleconferences are every Wednesday at 08-0900 pacific time, 16-1700 GMT on the Web3D teleconference line.
- Cochairs: Don Brutzman and Leonard Daly
- ISO Convener: Dick Puk
- X3D Binary Compression Capabilities and Plans
- X3D MIME-Type in X3D Working Group to get official IETF MIME-Type recognition for X3D
- X3D Development Public Plans (contains public statements and links for the items below)
- X3D version 3.3 has been finalized as an ISO Final Draft International Standard (FDIS). The text has been sent to ISO/IEC for final ballot.
- X3D version 3.4 Development efforts are evolutionary improvements to the proven X3D Graphics architecture.
- Working groups are currently defining future goals and requirements.
- X3D version 4.0 Development efforts are considering potentially major additions to the baseline X3D architecture.
- Major technology under consideration: HTML5/Declarative 3D/X3DOM
- Major technology under consideration: Augmented Reality Continuum (ARC)
- Please contact Web3D Consortium or contact X3D cochairs if you think additional technologies need to be considered.
- X3D futures planning is currently a Web3D Consortium member-only activity.
Access and Participation
Many Web3D technical efforts are visible to the public. Some are restricted to Web3D Consortium members. Membership has value.
- Web3D Consortium members are allowed to decide on specification priorities and whether new technology is accepted for our royalty-free X3D International Standard.
- The general public is allowed to observe and comment at various stages of development.
- Some working group activities are fully open, some activities are performed by Web3D Consortium members only.
- Web3D Consortium members have agreed to the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy which effectively prevents any royalty-based technology from being adopted by X3D.
- This approach provides great value to the public, and also allows both companies and individual professionals to contribute to X3D directly as Web3D Consortium members.
- Meanwhile, each working group can still decide to place some work in the open and some with restricted access. For example, all HTML5/X3DOM work is completely in the open.
- For private member-only communications, Web3D Members can also use the Web3D Members-Only Wiki.
X3D and Augmented Reality Continuum (ARC) Working Group: AR Extensions for X3D
- The Augmented Reality (AR) Working Group was formed to address the needs of projecting computer generated information into the real world. The Working Group focuses on utilizing and extending X3D capabilities to support augmented reality (AR) and mixed reality (MR) applications.
- X3D and Augmented Reality working group summary
- X3D and Augmented Reality wiki
- Members are also participating in efforts by the ISO SC24 Working Group 9 for Augmented Reality Continuum (ARC)
X3D CAD Working Group: Computer Aided Design (CAD) Extensions for X3D
- The X3D CAD Working Group is now in its third generation of development effort. We are developing and demonstrating best practices for exporting any CAD model to X3D for Web applications.
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) working group summary
- X3D CAD working group wiki
X3D Earth Working Group for geospatial representations
- The X3D Earth Working Group uses the Web architecture, XML languages, and open protocols to build a standards-based X3D Earth specification usable by governments, industry, scientists, academia, and the general public. X3D-Earth efforts encompass client-side, server-side, authoring, and conversion technologies.
Vision: Make it easier to create and use 3D spatial data. Mission. Promote spatial data use within X3D via open architectures.
X3D H-Anim Working Group: Humanoid Animation (H-Anim)
- The Humanoid Animation (H-Anim) standard supports representative human models incorporating open best practices of haptic and kinematic interfaces and a certain default skeleton pose in order to enable shared animations.
- There are corresponding documents for Humanoid Animation (H-Anim) abstract specification and X3D Humanoid Animation component.
- H-Anim working group summary
- H-Anim wiki
X3D Medical Working Group: Volume visualization and Medical uses
- The Medical Working Group is developing an open interoperable standard for the representation of human anatomy based on input from a wide variety of imaging modalities.
- X3D Medical working group summary
- X3D Medical wiki
X3D Special Interest Groups: Public Pages
X3D Special Interest groups are open to anyone interested in participating. This open approach provides great value to the public to explore new technologies and applications for X3D. It also allows both companies and individuals to contribute some technologies towards moving the X3D standard forward.
X3D and HTML5 design efforts and Declarative 3D Community Group
Numerous efforts are working to establish a solid foundation for proper X3D graphics support in HTML5.
- Declarative 3D Community Group efforts include integration of Declarative 3D requirements as part of X3D version 4.0 design
- X3D and HTML5 wiki lists a wide variety of techniques for authors creating Web content
Special Interest Group efforts are being discussed on the X3D mailing list
- What is X3D
- Features and Strengths of X3D
- Industry Adopters
- Get Involved!
- Interviews and Outreach
- Recent Events
X3D Community Information
- Player support for X3D components
- Tool support for X3D components
- X3D Plugfest to improve interoperability between X3D players
- X3D Implementations
The Web3D Consortium is always happy to receive proposals for Technology Contributions that might help to advance 3D graphics on the Web.
- X3D Tooltips provides multilingual details on the X3D vocabulary
- How-To Guides and Node Reference
- X3D Specifications provides public copies of all Web3D specification work
- X3D Resources provides comprehensive links to many X3D applications, sources and capabilities
- Player support for X3D components and Tool support for X3D components
- Plug-in and browser compliance
- Recommendations for browser developers
Official Chapters (geographically oriented) of the Web3D Consortium
About the Public and Members-Only X3D Wiki
- If you need an account on this wiki, please contact the Webmaster at http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/contact and select the 'Wiki Account' category.
- Because of some reported abuse to existing members, creation of all new accounts have been disabled. This state will continue until a better means of identifying members has been established.
- SysAdmin Note: WikiMedia software upgraded to latest version (9 Jan 2013).