X3D and Augmented Reality
Web3D Consortium has a special interest in the recent AR initiatives and creating the AR Technology Road Map.
- X3DOM can serve as an out of the box, standards based solution for AR developers.
- X3D and X3DOM continue to improve scripting options for X3D with HTML5 and this has good promise for AR applications.
- X3DOM is being considered for potential standardization in a Mobile and/or Augmented Reality (AR) profile for X3D.
Our Web3D Korea Chapter members from ETRI are working on Mixed Reality visualization in X3D.
- The Consortium as been working closely within W3C HTML5 WG to align our standards for 3D visualization on the Web.
Additional details are available at:
- Web3D Consortium will be starting an AR working group in March 2011 to develop a roadmap for AR standardization. We encourage your participation.
- The technology discussions and meetings will be conducted publicly so that the widest possible comment and reaction can be considered from the Community. Feedback from this community will help X3D quickly and stably adopt new technologies to provide ongoing archival value for all 3D graphics.
- Meanwhile Web3D Members still retain important membership rights of proposing significant new technology and considering patented technologies within a "safe haven" prior to public release.
Slideset summary from last summer's Mobile X3D ISO Workshop has also been linked: how Mobile, HTML5 and possibly Augmented Reality (AR) components might be alignable together as an X3D Mobile Profile.
Many new Web3D capabilities are becoming available. There has been no better time to discuss X3D technologies and also join the Web3D Consortium. Get involved in these early discussions to create the AR Technology Road Map. We look forward to your participation.
Adding points to this section will be the subject of the next meetings.
The Augmented Reality Working/Special Interest Group focuses on utilizing/extending X3D functions to support augmented and mixed reality applications.
Planned goals of AR WG/SIG include:
- Collect requirements and describe typical use cases of using X3D for AR/MR application.
- Develop and extend functions and nodes for X3D specification required to support AR/MR
- Produce sample AR/MR applications with X3D
Deliverables and Timeline
- Use cases of X3D for AR/MR application - 1 May, 2011
- Requirements for X3D to support AR/MR applications - 1 May, 2011
- Proposed new/extened functions and nodes for X3D specification - TBD
- Sample AR/MR applications with X3D - TBD
Our twice-monthly teleconference for X3D and Augmented Reality is usually
- 1710-1810 (Pacific time) on 1st and 3rd Tuesdays.
- 2010-2110 (Eastern time) on 1st and 3rd Tuesdays.
- 0910-1010 (Korea time) on 1st and 3rd Wednesdays.
Our next public teleconference is 15/16 March 2011.
Meeting agenda: TBA through the mailing list.
Discussions occur on the email@example.com mailing list. If the email traffic becomes very busy then we can create a separate email list.
Meeting minutes are also distributed on the X3D-Public mailing list and archived online.
- Anita Havele
- Damon Hernandez
- Don Brutzman
- Gerard J. Kim
- Gun Lee
- Len Daly, Daly Realism
- Timo Engelke
Participation and Liaisons
- Other partnerships can also be considered as appropriate.
- Of interest is that Web3D Consortium Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy insists on open, royalty free (RF) specifications. These coexist effectively with the Web Architecture and many different business models.