H-Anim Future Work and Outreach 2014
(Our meeting today is hosted by Myeong Won Lee and the Web3D Korea Chapter. Thank you - ham sa ham ni dah!)
Overview. Lots of activity continues to gradually proceed in H-Anim. These lists of suggested steps can help us stay organized and productive.
- 1 Animation
- 2 Examples
- 3 Specifications: H-Anim and X3D
- 4 Tools
- 5 Outreach
- 6 Other stuff
- Composition of partial behaviors
- Additive (e.g. waving + sitting down)
- Superposition(e.g. waving + walking)
- Inline and IMPORT/EXPORT conventions
- LOA by LOA versions?
Build Behavior Libraries
- Static position/posture poses
- Corresponding Displacer nodes
Examples are always a powerful way to show whether the specification is working or needs improvement.
Additional Examples Needed
- Anatomically correct human
- Cartoon charchers (humanoid but not human)
- Conversion of BVH examples
- Skin (we will add Joe's examples, as they are tested)
There are a lot of things we will build - humans are complex! An independent archive may be needed, separate from the X3D Basic Examples Archive.
- Modified over years by Joe Williams and Damon Hernandez, origin uncertain
- Modified DEC 2013 by Joe Williams and Don Brutzman, checked into Medical examples at
- Individual geometry files for each segment in human body, independently loadable
- Define how to change size to match a given body
- prepared by MWL and students, excellent cartoon characters
- Joints/Segments and skin, H-Anim compliant, LOA?
- TODO add to Basic archives, find/review prior list of requested fixes
Specifications: H-Anim and X3D
- How to indicate whether a character is a strict human or not?
- LOA 5 for all remaining animatable joints in human body? or additional LOAs?
- Hands feet face, anything else?
- Names for additional Joints, Segments, Sites
- Ensure that H-Anim and multiple X3D specifications stay synchronized
- Problem: how to we handle wrist joints as a directed acyclic graph (DAG) structure?
- Physiology is different, apparently a mesh
- Nevertheless each bone can only be in one position/orientation at a time
- Thus a scene graph can show correct results, even if forces are complex
- We care most about the position/orientation of each bone
- Typically we think of angle relationships between multiple bones
- End result is what matters: position/orientation of each bone
- Perhaps we should use the name "pseudo Joint" when this is a mismatch (such as carpal bones in wrist)
- Facial Action Coding System (FACS), Action Units (AUs)
- Confirm all names are anatomically accurate. Either change names or create new lists of names or create correspondences tables, to note how this works
- Joint, Segment and Site are also natural/logical/essential places to hang metadata and annotations
- Placeholder here... Joe and Don have lots of checking to do in coming months
- Algorithm needs to be documented, can we finish our blog entry?
- MWL's C++ code, described in slides, final fixes needed
- DPB to consider writing corresponding Java code
"MWL H-ANIM Editor"
- What is the name of this tool please?
- Can we announce availability?
- Excellent and novel capabilities - TODO list
- Can produce sophisticated animations
- New, under development
- XSLT stylesheet can follow "decorator pattern" to modify scene graphs
- Converts .x3d to a modified .x3d
- Current support for canonical form, omitting default values, url corrections, minor fixups
- TODO add support for H-Anim
- remove geometry from Joints/Segments/Sites
- Add/replace geometry to Joints/Segments/Sites
X3D Schematron Validation
- X3D Schematron includes numerous validation rules
- TODO list them?
- Are asymmetry warnings helpful?
- Still need rules for skin
- Lists of additional joint, segment, site names
- Prepare summary flyer suitable for wide distribution
- Prepare tutorial
- Prepare set of videos to accompany demos?
Coordination and Cooperation
- Not clear if we should reach out to other groups or not while so much is occurring... keeping wiki up-to-date is critical
- Perhaps we should simply advertise our progress to other groups, perhaps there will be other participants?
- Are our emerging changes compatible with MPEG-4 practices? Are there things to either change or maintain for compatibility?
- Who can be our liaison individual? Must be able to live with both IPR models.
- What other ISO standards committees have related work?
- List of all non-animating joints in the body?
- Is facial animation similar to skin?
- Is clothing similar to skin?
- Cross-check this list for coverage of all items in NWIPs