Augmented Reality Roadmap for X3D
We had a lot of discussions recently to continue describing a comprehensive strategy for adding Augmented Reality (AR) capabilities in X3D. Here is a snapshot of many ideas proposed so far. Feedback and improvements are welcome.
- Multiple AR nodes have been proposed and implemented for X3D
by Fraunhofer team, Gerry's team and others
- Current technical work includes harmonizing these proposals
for best fitting AR capabilities into X3D scenes
- This will be written up as an AR Component for the X3D Specification
- Establishing common implementations and examples is important to
demonstrate successful interoperable capabilities for the spec
- Complementary work in HTML5/DOM, geospatial GpsSensor, and
palettes for interactive scenes might be composed as a new Mobile Profile for X3D
- Heavyweight advanced capabilities for mixed reality, CAVEs etc.
kept separate from Mobile but available in an AR Profile
- Continued collaboration and reaching out to W3C Augmented Reality
Community Group, newly formed OGC ARML, Christine Perry's AR workshops and other arenas of interest
- ISO Standards Committee (SC24) which administers X3D review as an
International Standard has established a new Working Group for Augmented and Mixed Reality
- Common goal remains maximum interoperability with all Web standards
Lots of discussions at Web3D Conference, SIGGRAPH and ISO meeting continue to improve and refine this strategy.
As we achieve clarity on our larger strategy for AR in X3D, it will help a lot as we reach out for common ground with other standards groups. We especially want to encourage new participants to join this important effort.