[x3d-public] Found paper on program synthesis I am *trying* to read. I set it down for now

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 18:36:26 PDT 2021

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/program_synthesis_now.pdf

The paper's about 4 years old, and provides an overview of program
synthesis (in the graphics world, inverse CSG (computational solid
geometry) is considered program synthesis--you're trying to construct a
boolean tree of shapes from triangles, image or video).

What I didn't know is program synthesis is a (the?) Holy Grail of
computer science.  I just viewed it as a research topic.

It appears that Excel has many features of program synthesis.

I know that X3D does not handle CSG, you have to start with CSG (say in
an exporting program) and break the result shape into smaller shapes
which don't have boolean operators.

I'm trying to figure out how this relates to CFD (computational fluid
dynamics).

I propose that after conquering program synthesis, we work on network
and system synthesis (dare I say holistic synthesis?)   Or perhaps we
should work on those before program synthesis?