[x3d-public] NppX3D progress for color-coded editing of X3DV and VRML files

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 6 09:17:39 PDT 2021

Jordi, thanks for another excellent review today.  You are making super progress on code colorizing for VRML and ClassicVRML in Notepad++.

* https://sourceforge.net/projects/nppx3dv

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad++

* https://notepad-plus-plus.org

=================
What is Notepad++

Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GNU General Public License.

Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
=================

Jordi has 5 screenshots to facilitate installation.  Everything installed fine, looks like there is complete coverage of nodes and fields.

We reviewed the node inventory for VRML97 as indicated on tab 4 of the following spreadsheet.

* X3Dv4 Players and Tools Coverage, X3D Model Validation
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.xlsx
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dNodeInventoryComparison.pdf

Box scores indicate approximately
- 55 nodes in VRML97 Specification
- 83 nodes in VRML97 Amendment 1
- 38 prototypes supporting X3D nodes in VRML97, available as EXTERNPROTO declarations.

It seems like a good idea to add attributes to X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM) under respective nodes to indicate whether each X3D node is supported, is not supported, or is supported via prototypes.  I'll take that for action.

Jordi will consider whether code coloration (purple for prototype?) might be suitable in VRML97 colorization if one of the prototype implementations are used.  He will also look at whether tooltip annotation is possible.

Once these finishing touches are complete he may be ready to submit the configuration files to Notepad++ community, hopefully for inclusion in the official build and avoiding the short period of time currently necessary for manual configuration.

We meet again on Thursday 22 April 07-0800 pacific on Web3D Zoom channel to continue our progress reviews for this interesting exploration.

Have fun with Notepad++ X3DV and VRML!!  8)

On 3/22/2021 12:28 PM, jordircardona at yahoo.com wrote> Hi Don,