[x3d-public] BVH tasks, joining forces, vim plugin

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 28 03:58:04 PDT 2022

The only problem I am having with these examples is that the skeleton is not x3d Hanim.
It is simplified legacy version, undefined by hanim, left in the bvh dust by reason of reality.
The example varies from Hanim differing mainly, but not exclusively, in the simplification of the spine and its role in controlling shoulder and head motions  This skeleton is not bad, but just too simple to show more realistic complex motions, like throwing something. It represents a noble relic in steps toward a deliverable humanoid.

Anyway, Please consider that the target playback skeleton is Not any bvh skeleton that happens to be described in whatever bvh file we are leveraging. For any bvh conversion the target should be a ‘standard’ loa4 skeleton along with converted x3d hanim user code for skeleton and animations. (Note: Define some standard simple names/numbers for loa4 joints-segments-sites to reduce text).
Likewise, if an x3d tool exports x3d to bvh, it should be a ‘standard’ skeleton (with uniform time steps).
This gives the author full control of the skeleton and the animations and makes the stuff usable and actually reusable.

I think this is a necessary when the goal is generation of transportable animations, only really possible using a ‘standard’ Hanim character. Again, the example skeleton I see there is just fine for some stuff, like standing around, but when you have to get real, then  you won’t have to play long to see limits.

More historical fun with hanim and x3d and yes, even bvh.
bvh to hanim to gltf
Reminds me that the x3d Hanim animation repository would naturally deliver a ‘standard’ animation set aimed at a ‘standard’ loa4 skeleton, and the delivery format would naturally be gltf.

Thanks,
Joe