[X3D-Public] Web3D Timeline Demo - conversion to X3DOM

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 3 09:46:22 PDT 2012

Forwarded to X3D public list, with permission from Johannes.
Also cc Andreas, Yvonne.

Nils you've done some excellent work - thanks for your efforts
converting the Web3D Timeline scene to Javascript/X3DOM/HTML.
Interesting approach!
http://examples.x3dom.org/x3dTimeLine/timeline.js
http://examples.x3dom.org/x3dTimeLine/timeline.css
http://examples.x3dom.org/x3dTimeLine/timestamps.txt

Please note that Anita and I added some further timeline instances
yesterday, and so if you might add them to your version for Anita's
workshop demo at WWW2012 that would be great.
http://www2012.org/
http://www2012.wwwconference.org/program/workshops/
http://events.declarative3d.org/Dec3D2012/

Web3D timeline scene source:
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/basic/Web3dOutreach/Web3dTimeline.x3d
Version control, history:
http://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Web3dOutreach/Web3dTimeline.x3d?view=log

Other comments you may already be aware of:
- Text horizontal alignment needs adjustment so that titles and descriptions don't overlap
- You may want to add the white box I put behind each image so that only one timeline element at a time is visible

I am wondering if I should figure out some initialization code for WebFonts
in the stylesheet so that the <Text/> node works.
http://x3dom.org/x3dom/example/x3dom_text.html

I recommend that the x3dom.js player perform this task (perhaps in a predictable
way that is overridable by advanced authors) since X3D authors do expect the
availability of at least 3 fonts in any player:
http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.2/Part01/components/text.html#Fontfamilyandstyle
> All browsers shall support at least "SERIF" (the default) for a serif font
> such as Times Roman; "SANS" for a sans-serif font such as Helvetica; and "TYPEWRITER"
> for a fixed-pitch font such as Courier. An empty family value is identical to ["SERIF"].

The general question of how to convert X3D ProtoDeclare + ProtoInstance markup into X3DOM
is pretty interesting.  I've been thinking about how to do this in the stylesheet.
It is possible that XSLT might allow a "deep copy" that repopulates a literal
scene subgraph for each prototype instance.  It gets further complex with IS/connect
of course.  Probably possible to pass initialization values, but still not clear
how to maintain internal ROUTEs within each prototype if they have been explicitly
copied for multiple prototype instances.  Hmmm, a worthy challenge.

Further questions & discussion welcome.  Good luck with your efforts.