X3D 4.0 development is the center of Web3D working group and community discussion. Your participation is encouraged as we work to make authoring and use of X3D models fully integrated with HTML5. Get involved! Please join Web3D Consortium.
- X3Dv4 Specification. The X3D 4.0 specification is available to members since 2018 in github; we released a public draft at Web3D/SIGGRAPH 2019. Authors have the archival stability of a well-tested long-lasting specification to build upon. It is the focus of much discussion among the WG meetings and listserves. The X3D WG has a feature freeze for Dec and we go to ISO-IEC ratification early in 2020. The entire series of X3D specifications file encodings and language bindings will be formally updated to match in 2020.
- HTML5 Publishing. You can share your 3D models anywhere with anyone by saving them as X3D and then embedding them in an HTML page using either of our open-source implementations, X3DOM and X_ITE.
- glTF Capabilities. X3D 4.0 models can compose scenes with glTF 2.0 assets. Inlining glTF and mapping to the underlying technical structure of X3D. X3D is a higher level scene graph that describes many geometry types, lights, interactions, animations, etc. X3D provides a broader value proposition than glTF, including Metadata and Security. Blog entry Integrating X3D and glTF tells the story and includes links to examples.
- Multiple Implementations. X3DOM and X_ITE continue with impressive releases and updates, tracking the X3D 4.0. Additional standalone implementations include Castle Game Engine and FreeWRL. Meanwhile other tools are improving X3D support, including creo, pointfuze, cura.
Benefits and Opportunities
- Benefits of International Standard. ISO-IEC X3D provides compliance w the US government OMB Circular 119, which states this preference for Standards (and open source technology) contracts and products. X3D (and VRML) fulfill these criteria.
- Semantic Web. The X3D Semantic Web Working Group has been meeting bi-weekly and has already produced two peer-reviewed papers. This technical framework shows how X3D can work with the Semantic Web and improve the search-ability of 3D models. Initial implementations are working with X3Dv4.
- 3D Printing, 3D Scanning, and CAD Models. X3Dv4 enables 3D printing of models, 3D scanning of objects, and toolchain workflow support for point clouds. CAD interoperability includes model structure and complete metadata. X3D can be used in more ways than ever before.
- Humanoid Animation (HAnim). New HAnim v2 includes Motion Animation. New examples are being developed.
- Medical Representations. Using volume visualization, 3D models and metadata, we partner with HealthLevel7 (HL7), DICOM and IEEE 3D Body Processing (3DBP) groups, sharing capabilities to build 3D human and medical records.
- Partnership work with other standards organizations. Web3D works with ISO and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) on Web standards. We also work closely with The Khronos Group on advanced 3D capababilities such as physically based rendering (PBR) and glTF.
- Heritage Metadata, Born2B3D, archival publishing of cultural and natural heritage.