X3D CAD Systems
How-To instructions for preparing X3D files from the commercial CAD systems.
- From the Argon document, use the "File > Export..." menu command to export as a "*.WRL" file; use the VRML V 2.0 option, save the file with .wrl extension.
- Use X3D-Edit application "Import as X3D > Import VRML97 Scene" command to convert VRML scene to XML encoded X3D.
- If the original Argon model contains a single ACIS_Solid object, it will be converted to a single IndexedTriangleSet node.
- If the original model is a collection of surfaces, they will be converted to a collection of IndexedTriangleSet nodes, and the coloring of individual faces will be preserved in the X3D model. Argon allows breaking up a solid into a collection of its faces as a "Change Object Type" operation.
OnShape  is collaborative 3D CAD system that works in a web browser. Parts and assemblies created in OnShape can be converted to X3D files by exporting a STEP file from OnShape and then performing a STEP->X3D translation.
- In OnShape the Export action is performed using a pop-up menu from the Document tab. Use the OnShape "Help" feature, search on 'export files', for user-interface assistance.
- The file will be exported as AP 214 (automotive design). An OnShape assembly will be exported to a STEP exchange file in which the assembly tree is preserved.