Web3D Cultural Heritage WG
Web3D 2014 Conference
- Challenges and Outlook (10 min) - Nicholas Polys Ph.D., Virginia Tech
- Smithsonian 3D Digitization Initiative (25 min) - Gunter Waibel Ph.D., Smithsonian Institute
- European Initiatives, CultLab3D (25 min) - Pedro Santos Ph.D., Fraunhofer IGD
- Working Group Scoping (20 min discussion) - Nicholas Polys
- Next Steps (10 min) - Nicholas Polys
Web3D Consortium Cultural Heritage Working Group
Proposed Charter Scope
Web3D Cultural Heritage
Millions of cultural heritage artifacts populate our museums and about 90% still await discovery in museum archives. The 3D Documentation of cultural heritage artifacts represents a huge market potential which is largely unexplored. This workshop will launch the Charter for a new Web3D Consortium Working Group on Cultural Heritage addressing:
- Arbitrary availability and concurrent access to digital surrogates of cultural heritage artifacts for art historians and scientists.
- Use of digital surrogates in cultural heritage institutions for exhibition planning, documentation and acquisition planning.
- Virtual presentation (combined with new forms of presentation technologies, such as hybrid exhibitions) as a means to increase attractiveness • Physical surrogates based on digital 3D models.
- Substitute loaning of cultural heritage artifacts by digital surrogates avoiding damage from transport, insurance fees and legal issues.
- Reusability of historically correct 3D models in gaming and film industry as well as for architectural reconstruction.
Web3D 2015 Conference
To be held in Heraklion, Crete in June 2015!