[semantics-public] [now semantics-public] Unable to meet today on X3D semantics; looking ahead

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Dec 30 15:48:53 PST 2019

Hi John.

Shifting this general discussion from semantics at web3d.org (member-only meeting scheduling) to semantics-public list.

I was referring to separate geometric ontology work being referred to on the CAD mailing list.  Some interesting references were posted there.

Everything you describe sounds interesting but is far too abstract for me to ponder.  I think we get our best mileage out of focusing on:
- performing X3D scene-graph queries (with a modest start) to produce properties of interest (needs work)
- performing metadata queries (needs work)
- performing multiple-namespace queries with other information (such as separately derived geometric properties) in combination with X3D triples.

At that point we will be peeking up on the plateau of general 3D search.  For upcoming efforts, staying focused on improving X3D queries can best help.

As quoted on the X3D Ontology page:

* "The answer to your question is the response to the query." Jim Hendler and Dean Allemang

... and a converse is true also, if your query can't get a response then maybe the question isn't well formed.  Suggest we stay focused on trying to "ask the right questions" using SPARQL and the X3D Ontology in order to best understand how to effectively apply it.

So, for example, deconstructing "bouncy" might mean writing an X3D SPARQL queries for
- "is there a PositionInterpolator that starts at one SFVec3f position with Y=0, goes up in +Y direction, then returns to Y=0 height."

and moving on to "bouncing" would add something like
- "is there a TimeSensor connecting the PositionInterpolator to a Transform via a set of ROUTEs?" and "is the TimeSensor triggered/active?" etc.

Defining animation queries like these is certainly within the realm of the possible today.  Some would be great diagnostics.

Sticking to practical measurable concepts like these seems quite valuable.  We don't need others agreement to characterize the essentials of what exists in X3D now.  There is a whole set of scene-graph model characteristics we might be able to figure out answerable queries like
- what shapes share the same color?
- what shapes are transparent?
- what shapes are invisible due to scene-graph structure (hidden by Switch, follow-on child in ProtoBody, within LOD etc.)
- what functional animation chains are present (optional trigger, TimeSensor, Interpolator/Sequencer, target node, connecting ROUTEs throughout)
- what nonfunctional animation chains are present (i.e. Interpolator/Sequencer without the above)?
- what functional/nonfunctional animation chains use a Script or ProtoInstance instead?
- does metadata exist? do metadata nodes have references?
- what shapes are red (green, blue, a certain color)
- do any geometry nodes share the same coordinates?
- are there any textures? any transformed textures?
- are there any Viewpoint nodes?  Inline nodes? etc.
- are there any (possibly insecure) url values with http vice https?
- are there any url values with possibly insecure/blacklisted addresses?
- are there any nodes present with missing (or perhaps only default) values?
etc. etc.

So, lots of practical inquiry lies ahead.  Have fun with X3D semantics!  8)