X3D Open Source Projects
To encourage innovation and developer participation, several X3D projects are being developed as open source. Any developer may contribute to these projects or use them as the basis for their own work.
If you are developing an open source project that supports X3D, please send an email to .
- Xj3D is a Java-based toolkit and X3D browser for creating X3D-compliant products. Xj3D is often used to prototype new extensions and features for X3D. It is highly componetized and can be used as the basis to develop lightweight X3D applications.
- OpenVRML includes a cross-platform VRML/X3D runtime library written in C++ and available for use under the LGPL as well as a Mozilla browser plug-in for platforms using the X Window system.
- Rawkee is an X3D plug-in for Maya Complete and Maya Unlimited to export Maya's 3D data as an X3D file with scripting as a complete X3D authoring environment through RawKee's Interaction, Character, and Animation editors.
- H3D is an X3D and OpenGL-based Haptic (touch sensitive) API for multi-sensory visualization and computer virtual reality environments.
- X3DToolkit is a portable LGPL free C++ toolkit for loading, displaying and processing the X3D scenegraph and models. Included example applications include an X3D viewer and mesh editor.
- libx3d is a set of libraries and tools to work with XML X3D data/files and rendering using OpenGL.
- Info3D is a web application for Information Visualization using X3D.
- The Planet Earth Project is a web3D interactive, extensible, full-scale earth map created and annotated by the public (think 3D google + world wiki). It is based on a framework and tools for translating geospatial data to different formats including images and multiresolution models for X3D or VRML web browsing.
- GPAC is a multimedia framework based on the MPEG-4 Systems standard (ISO/IEC 14496-1) that integrates SVG/SMIL, VRML, X3D, SWF, 3GPP(2) tools