[x3d-public] XRSI Recommendations, Building Responsible, Safe, and Inclusive Extended Reality Ecosystems (the Metaverse)

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Oct 12 08:05:39 PDT 2022

Suggested reading:

*	Building Responsible, Safe, and Inclusive Extended Reality
Ecosystems (the Metaverse)
*	XRSI Recommendations for the Biden-Harris Administration
*	https://xrsi.org/publication/biden-harris-recommendations

"The United States is facing the unprecedented challenge of building
responsible, safe, and inclusive XR and Metaverse related Information and
Communication Technology ecosystems.

We need pragmatic policy decisions and governance frameworks that help build
responsibility, safety, and inclusion for new and emerging fields of XR
technologies (an umbrella term for AR/VR/MR). With the pandemic catalyzing
and fueling the growth and adoption of these technologies, we need to pause
and reflect: if we are going to extend realities via the immersive domain of
XR, what kind of world will we wish to create?

Lawmakers must proactively address the issue of privacy and data protection
while enabling responsible research and innovation. This area is
particularly relevant today as our dependency on smart technologies grows,
and we embrace immersive and emerging technologies to build the future."

Primary contributor:

*	https://xrsi.org/who-we-are
*	https://twitter.com/XRSIdotorg
*	XR Safety Initiative (XRSI) is a global non profit Standards
Developing Organization(SDO) that promotes privacy, safety, security, and
ethics in immersive environments. Founded in 2019 by Kavya Pearlman, known
as the "Cyber Guardian," an award-winning cybersecurity professional with a
deep interest in immersive and emerging technologies. Headquartered in San
Francisco Bay Area, XRSI currently has over 150 diverse and
multidisciplinary advisors from around the globe.

Related work is commencing in Metaverse Standards Forum (MSF)., where Web3D
Consortium is a participating SDO member.

*	https://metaverse-standards.org

All comments and feedback welcome.  Thanks for considering the
possibilities.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman