[x3d-public] Mantis 27.4.9 NurbSet - Change child geometry model to X3DParametricGeometryNode

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:27:33 PDT 2022

Sorry, further questions keep popping up.  Are we sure that the NURBS
Surfaces directly under the X3DParametricGeometryNode can be smoothly
aligned with the other NURBS surfaces under X3DNurbsSurfaceGeometryNode  ?
  Indeed, it kind of looks like all the interesting stuff which may be
required for smoothing may be in     X3DNurbsSurfaceGeometryNode (compare
with NurbsCurve).  If we move to the higher interface, fields valuable to
smoothing may not appear in the concrete nodes?

This cones from someone with only a book knowledge of MURBS 35 or so years
ago.

Im basically wondering why there are two abstract nodes, and why
X3DParametricGeometryNode
was placed under a the Nurbs section.

I have interesting parametric geometry, but i can’t ever see It smoothed
with NURBS or placed in a NurbsSet.

As a reference, imagine the surface

 r = radiusAverage + radiusRange * cos (numThetaLeaves * theta) * cos
(numPhiLeaves * phi)

in spherical coordinates.

If X3D is extensible, where would I extend from for this surface?

John