[x3d-public] X3D-Edit—pair programming—2+ desktops.

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 22 10:37:41 PST 2022

John, please note the immediate warning at the top of that page:

(Editorial note. The XMPP chat plugin is no longer maintained by Netbeans,
this page is maintained for historical purposes. Further chat resources can
be found on the  <https://savage.nps.edu/Savage/developers.html#Chat> Savage
Developers Guide.)

Further we are no longer supporting X3D-Edit 3.2 which is version from a
decade ago.  Rather X3D-Edit 4.0 is available (with how-to-install video
announced earlier today).  Chat is not part of NetBeans and X3D-Edit 4.0
functionality.

Regarding Oracle and NetBeans, it took several years to retool everything
needed for the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) as open source but
they succeeded.  NetBeans is the largest (by SLOC) project out of hundreds
at Apache.  It is not a goal to add chat on top, social-channel use cases
are far different.  Searching for those key terms quickly reveals

*	Oracle Transition: Standing on our own feet
*	https://netbeans.apache.org/about/oracle-transition.html

*	Our History
*	https://netbeans.apache.org/about/history.html

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, Navy robotics https://
faculty.nps.edu/brutzman