[x3d-public] Over next several weeks, I will be ramping up

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:14:35 PST 2022

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 8:37 PM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep, i will try adding view3dscene to path in x3d-edit environment and
>  view3dscene will likely start working outputting VRML and X3D.  i’m
> getting the idea that no one else is starting x3d-edit from bash.

Updates. I just had to set the PATH to include the openjdk bin.   Version 18

Michalis code looks good for reading both ASCII and binary STL.   I'm
guessing that Blender might write both binary and ASCII STL, but I'm
researching that now, looks possible.

> Unfortunately, as discussed, outputting STL is not supported, but i could
> be pleasantly surprised.   I do think Blender might work and is probably
> preferred.  Anyone want to write an x3d input, stl output python blender
> plugin?  Vince?  Can we get a prototype from Blender folks?
>
> If STL output works, is it still on the wish list?
>
> I don’t know the status of STL output in X3DJSAIL.  I know there’s no
> stylesheet for it last I checked.   I already asked the status of any work
> on X3dToStl.xslt, so I wouldn’t be duplicating work.
>
> Now do you guys understand why i keep poking my head in and asking for a
> tessellator?
>
> Will accept video showing me wrong.   Thanks!
>
> If the work is more important in python, who can work on it?

I guess I can learn a bit of python, enough to load brython in.

> Would someone take the steering wheel, I’m about ready to drop it, and
> press on the brakes.
>
> Okay, I’ll test x3d-edit next.

Done, everything I tried worked well.