[x3d-public] url MFString handling

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:26:12 PDT 2022

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:40 PM Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)
<brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Since case A is erroneous content, and X3D is mostly silent about specifying
> precisely how reactions to errors are performed, case B would be preferred
> robust behavior.

The question is if consistent browser behaviour should be required.
The idea is that url semantics (X3DUrlObject) are confined to the
ability of the browser to resolve, access and download urls. Content
viability and error handling is separate and managed in a later step
by the node (Inline, ImageTexture, ExternProto), just as any other
erroneous content. This is how authors and implementers would tend to
see it.

For Inline, x3dom would check if the downloaded file is valid xml or
json and has a Scene node. If not, it is considered an url failure and
treated the same as not resolvable urls. If it has a Scene node but is
not valid x3d, it is not considered an url failure and will generate a
parsing error and possibly exceptions but not try other urls.

For ImageTexture, x3dom would check if the url can be successfully
loaded by the HTML Image element, or is a .dds file.

> The author remains responsible for refresh periodicity, e.g. here is 10
> minutes
>
>    <Inline url = ' "./localDirectory/content.x3d"
> "https://SomeKindOfWeatherReport.com/content.x3d' autoRefresh="600"/>
>
> This issue is a little more involved since sequential handling of multiple
> url values might have security implications too.  Not sure if it possible to
> detect a retrieval from something like the following, but perhaps an
> additional autoRefresh precaution might limit exposure?  Not sure we can do
> anything about this, but worth a mention.
>
>    <Inline url = ' "./localDirectory/content.x3d"
> "https://man_in_middle_compromised_server/content.x3d' />

The main question I had is the scenario when initially
localDirectory/content.x3d was available but at some later point
became corrupt or removed. Should autorefresh enable then the second
url ? I think currently the spec. answer is yes. Sticking with the
initial url selection would be more predictable to a user (Why is
there suddenly a texture ? but perhaps then an author should just
provide a single url). Perhaps there should be a recommendation that a
browser should communicate any resource changes in the ui.

The cross-origin resource security policy (CORS) of HTML browsers is
an attempt to mitigate such security concerns. It establishes a method
where both client and server have to explicitly agree that it is ok to
request, serve and accept network data. One option may be to adopt
CORS for X3D. For X3D browsers on a web page CORS is automatically
enforced (unless willfully circumvented with proxy servers).

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453