[x3d-public] EnvironmentLight done?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 04:20:41 PDT 2022

It is not done.

- The definition there does not describe the diffuseCoefficients in
enough detail,

- and does not describe the equations for applying the EnvironmentLight,

- It is also not fully implemented in CGE/view3dscene, nor anywhere
else, from what I know.

- The definition there is not checked for alignment with glTF
KHR_lights_environment (
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/pull/1956 ). It was only checked
for alignment with earlier glTF EXT_lights_image_based (
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/tree/main/extensions/2.0/Vendor/EXT_lights_image_based
), but since then the preferred Khronos approach seems to be
KHR_lights_environment, even though it is not yet finished.

Sorry, I just didn't have time to finish it. Too many tasks :)

In my defense,

- I warned multiple times that this will probably not be finished for X3D 4.0.

- KHR_lights_environment is also not finished on the Khronos side.

So let's not rush this. We should not push EnvironmentLight in X3D 4.0
spec. I very much welcome input from X3D browser implementors to
finish the definition of it, and have multiple implementations of it
in X3D, hopefully mostly consistent with glTF, and then we're good to
go :)

More info on https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Image-Based-Lighting-(EnvironmentLight-node)
.

Regards,
Michalis

pt., 15 kwi 2022 o 01:43 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV)