[x3d-public] [h-anim] HAnim hand model improvements, smallgeometry improvements needed

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 21 13:14:12 PDT 2021

HI Don,

I will say first, scan the skeleton to check its scale, general dimensions, and default pose prior to animation.
This is first check to foretell if ‘standard” animations will work as expected.
(Strict would be If the skeleton is Not drawn to human scale, then figure out how to change the joint center locations to bring it into ‘standard” humanoid 0 0 0, scale, and pose.)

The general dimensions check:
where is 0 0 0 and where is root node?
check x values, if the joint or site is on the correct side of the skeleton by checking if x is – (r_) or + (l_),
.. please notice some joints like the spine and sites that are basically centered l/r maybe 0 or +/- small offset for these,
check y values if joint or site has reasonable data for left-right y values,
if child joint has reasonable value for z of parent,
if sites have a reasonable relationship to Joint centers.

Overall, I still would rather depend upon actually seeing the viz instead of trying to make some guesses about what might be out of some range. This will probably not work if the skeleton is not scaled to “standard” hanim human scale.

I would like to see the table of joint and site values with the v1 aliases listed.

There is always the idea (not used by v1 and prior hanin) is to just go ahead and create a “standard” symmetrical humanoid and let the user change it to match the target character.

When I made the ‘kicker’ skin, I took the Basic, Medical, Body Skin Indexed Face Set NIST model, scaled it, found the correct 0 0 0, then plotted the site locations according to that model.

The code I need to see now is v2 LOA4 specification invizible or visible with all the v2 joints in there, so that we can move
the centers for the new joints around and find correct position. Yesterday I did not had good luck in changing the v2 LOA3 (right hand) to V2 LOA4 by changing the code manually. Don’t worry about the ‘correct’ joint centers, just set new joints to 0 0 0 for now and give the use code so I can manually move the joint centers to  appropriate locations.

Thanks and Best ,
Joe