[x3d-public] PR with new X3D field: Appearance.alphaMode

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:38:16 PST 2021

We need "AUTO" definitely IMHO. It is not equivalent to "BLEND".

"AUTO" means that the browser automatically detects whether it should
actually use one of the 3 algorithms --- "OPAQUE", "MASK", "BLEND".
"AUTO" is what makes new X3D 4 still compatible to X3D 3.

Without "AUTO", we break compatibility very harshly, causing all the
X3D 3 authors to rethink what alpha mode they need for their shaders.
Automatically using any algorithm (OPAQUE, MASK, BLEND) for existing
X3D 3 would be bad --- you either lose transparency support, or you
render things incorrectly.

glTF was able to go without "AUTO", because they started "fresh", so
they could require all authors to mark the shapes with appropriate
algorithm (e.g. Blender has a dedicated UI to indicate this, and it
exports to X3D).

Regards,
Michalis