[x3d-public] [CfP] Call for Participation. DIS for X3DOM, X_ITE

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Sun Jan 24 19:05:23 PST 2021

Good Morning, John.

VPN means Virtual Private(!) Network.

That means, it connects several private subnets over the insecure Internet in a secure way. Nobody out there can sniff, what's going on in your private subnets (unless he's equipped with "special" skills and tools and unless he's got the keys for the VPN).

The story is different, if you use a VPN to just access the insecure Internet. The traffic is secure as long as it stays in the VPN, but at some point the traffic must leave the VPN, if the destination is in the Internet. From that point on, the traffic is transported in an insecure way.

Security is not the reason, why I installed a VPN service on my vServer.

The reason for our "Tiny Web3D VPN" is L2 connectivity. Each client in our VPN can reach each other client per MAC address. So broadcasting and multicasting should be possible in order to test the "server-less" mode of the ALP (in some future) or of the DIS (if you like, immediately, if you like with me, next weekend).

Btw: did you already install the vpncal? If you use my "Tiny Web3D VPN", then I would really recommend to install the calendar of the VPN. We can then enter appointments about test sessions into the calendar.

All the best
Christoph