[x3d-public] multicast testing, xmlpg

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 16:30:53 PST 2021

What we've got to show is 2 receivers and 1 sender.  We will need
receivers running on 2 boxes (now you know why we have 2 VPN servers!)

I will try later today.  I do not know if running two VPN clients is
acceptable, or if they will conflict.  Thus I'm hoping that someone else
will start open-dis-python receiver.  I know that I cannot bind the
receivers to the the same port on the same machine.  I think we may need
to bind the receiver to a multicast address (how?).

For defining your protocol (ALP), I suggest xmlpg:

https://github.com/open-dis/xmlpg (I don't think this is specific to DIS)

(protocol generator)

That will save us on implementation for multiple languages.   We could
probably write a converter to nodes for a spec.

*Would it be useful to write a X3DUOM to XMLPG converter?  I'll have to
think about that!*

I don't think this issue is limited to DIS, and would likely apply to
ALP as well.

I'll look for multicast VPN

John