[x3d-public] Comment of X3D V4, glTF, and Lighting

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Fri Jan 15 13:13:47 PST 2021

Hi Michalis,

It is almost always the case that the environment lighting needs to be
external to the model. The model may be needed in an environment not
originally planned -- dark vs. light room; indoor vs. outdoors, etc.
Requiring the lighting to be embedded with the model severely limits the
usefulness of the model. There is no issue if the provided lighting is
optional (e.g., studio for product sample).

Also note that the glTF lighting extension is a vendor-specific offering
and may not be supported by DCC tools or other viewers of glTF models.

Leonard Daly