[x3d-public] The future 3D entertainment market -- Interactive Video????

jordircardona at yahoo.com jordircardona at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 01:32:23 PST 2021

Hi John, what you say is very interesting. I don't know if I understand well, but you mean a kind of network to go from one game to another, and those games made with X3D? And that they may run in smart TVs, mobiles, and desktop? That sounds fantastic.
In my humble opinion, as someone who is working full time on selling 3d content for many years, is that the main problem with VRML and then with X3D is the slow developing of real applications.
I mean, VRML is from 1997. It has taken, till 2017 if I am not mistaken, to have a plugin-less easy solution like X_ite support all the Profile Immersive = VRML. In the meantime, everybody forgot about VRML. I am very happy to see that Web3d supports x_ite actively, because in this moment it means a potential rebirth of this for the general public that browse internet. I will do all I can for that.
Of course there has been great projects like Xj3D, and many others, but what people want is to put their Edge or Firefox or Chrome, and just visit worlds online. They are not developers.
X3D is a fantastic specification, and X_ite already supports many of its nodes. When it supports them all, people will be able to get its potential. I am happy to see that Web3d now is going much faster than never before, and that you are handling this all with lots of energy and determination. Now we only need marketing for the wide public, the people on the internet, Faceboo, and all that.
The other problem is the graphics. All X3D and VRML content looks very old. Of course you can include shaders in X3DOM and X_ITE, but by default there should be some easy node to include normal and bump maps, at least, directly in the Material node, like a parameter like bumMap or normalMap with an url to a simple texture, without complications.
People are use to very good models, very good textures and very good lighting. The support in X3D V4 for PBR is a great purpose, but it should be as simple as using a Viewpoint node, just specify texures, without complications.
I also think that is very hard to compete with things like Unreal or Unity. Maybe the X3D and VRML content should aim, in addition to scientific data, to making art: 3D web art, virtual worlds with artistic content. It can be a part of the webs that people make, an easy way to display models online, and worlds not for games but for the love of watching and visiting something artistic, mysterious, in which the purpose is to satisfy the human need of exploring and discovering (and not killing or chasing like in games).
For this, as creators don't want their content being copied or stolen, it is needed that X3D has ways to protect, encrypt their content. One could not simply open the file, and read its content. Or use X3DEdit to convert a binary file to readable. It needs to remain encrypted except for the owner of the source code. Without that, nobody would want to put anything serious online.Another way is that the solution used doesn't allow or gives any information about what is loading.

So: hidden source or encrypted and not being able to uncrypt, easier use of basic bump and normal maps, better lighting model, and marketing for the masses. With that, everybody could be talking about X3D and not in 20 years more, now.
Just my opinion. I can be completely wrong, please correct me in anything, as I just came back to this.

-Jordi