[x3d-public] X3D and VRML for multiuser worlds

jordircardona at yahoo.com jordircardona at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 00:44:43 PST 2021

Hello,
I have recently joined the list again, and tested X_ite last week, and I am very impressed by the work done on X3D, and VRML, and very happy to see that X3DOM and X_ITE are actively supported by Web3d. X_ITE works great with complex worlds as I have checked uploading my vintage worlds and putting them online again. I hope I have some time to do some modern and really higher resolution worlds soon, because old content nowadays looks crappy, but I am very happy to se complex detailed worlds work great on x_ite.

I have published a tutorial on my blog and in groups in Facebook on how to upload, publish and have your worlds online again. I really love the direction that the Web3D Consortium has taken, in the sense of making x3d and vrml really popular, easy, and aimed not only to investigation and industry use but also to general public, everybody in the internet, just as html. It was the original idea, after all, for a standard for the web.

This is what all vrml people wanted since the beginning: plugin-less support for vrml and x3d on browsers, with the xml (perfect for data) and the classic (specially this, as it's more human readable) encodings.
I also see that there is a lot of work towards multiuser solutions. Is there something like x_ite that can be uploaded to any page, and be able to share events?

I looked at WebRTC, but it needs a server to start the process, and then also having a hosting account that allows to use npm and so on.
If X3D/VRML allowed to share events in X_ite as easy as publishing worlds, I am sure that as most people wanted not only 3d on the web, but also people visiting their worlds online, this would make a big rebirth and widespread of X3D between most of internet users.
Do all solutions need a server, or there is something in pure P2P, serverless, so everybody can upload a world, keep their browsers online, and make the worlds visitable and have shared events?

Thank you.-Jordi