[x3d-public] X3D agenda 2 OCT 2020: shadows, audio concepts

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:36:58 PDT 2020

About

"""
For the new Shape component and X3D4 support of glTF, we think that
- all the node signatures and field definitions work,
- prose definitions need some polishing by Dick and Don,
- good progress achieved on validation and examples.

Question: do we now support shadows satisfactorily?  Are any more
fields needed for scoping (turning on/off) shadows in a scene?
"""

Just to make it clear, *nothing* in my work on PBR (and related
material upgrades in X3Dv4) relates to shadows. They are an
independent topic, and the current X3Dv4 neither hinders nor advances
this topic, compared to X3D 3.

Various browsers (and, more generally, rendering engines independent
of X3D) present different approaches to shadows.

1. We can think of adding basic support for shadows to the light
sources. We need to be careful though about adding something limited,
that actually covers a wide range of possible shadows implementations
(shadow maps and shadow volumes, with many possible variants),
otherwise browsers would have to ignore it / misinterpret to "fit"
into their wildly different shadows algorithms. I would start with
simple

    SFBool shadows FALSE # enable/disable shadows from this light

    SFFloat shadowsPriority 0 # in case browser supports only a
limited number of shadow-casting lights, it should prioritize the
light sources with largest priority

2. I am not sure whether adding stuff for shadows is a priority in
X3Dv4, to be honest. It's not critically problematic that shadows
stuff remains in browser-specific extensions. Their details would
remain in browser-specific extensions anyway, due to varying
possibilities in varying implementations.

    I mean, it would be nice to have something about shadows in X3Dv4.
But I think we already spent a long time making X3Dv4, and we still
have a long time to review it :)

Regards,
Michalis