[x3d-public] Web3D Consortium Report to ISO-IEC/JTC 1/ Standards Committee SC 24, Arlington VA 7-11 August 2017

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 11 07:20:25 PDT 2017

Attached please find Web3D Consortium Report to ISO-IEC/JTC 1/ Standards Committee SC 24 for our annual meeting this week 7-11 August 2017.

Dr. Myeong Won Lee of Suwon University leads this group.  Dr. Richard Puk of Intelligraphics is convener of Working Group 6 for X3D standards.  Two dozen technical experts from multiple national bodies and liaison organizations participated.

A number of important documents will be made available to X3D Working Group participants discussing a variety of standardization activities.  In particular there are many extension proposals for X3D and Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) from members of the Web3D Korea Chapter - most of these are updates of the excellent sessions held at SIGGRAPH in LA last week.  All presentations and reports are being placed online, many publicly, and will definitely inform ongoing X3D development efforts.

It is noteworthy that further across-ISO multi-standard collaboration efforts are emerging.  In addition to 3D Printing and 3D Scanning, Smart Cities and Big Data and Internet of Things (IOT) are getting a lot of attention (see reports on next page).

	ISO/IEC JTC 1 — Information Technology
	https://www.iso.org/isoiec-jtc-1.html

I think that the generality of X3D as a common presentation layer, together with metadata mappings for linking search and interaction, provide major opportunities for X3D usage and impact worldwide.

Special thanks to Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington Virginia USA for hosting this important annual event.  A few photos will appear on the Web3D Consortium Twitter page (thanks Byoung Hyun Yoo).  We plan to meet in Toulouse next year, again following SIGGRAPH.

	Virginia Tech Research Center
	http://www.ncr.vt.edu

	Web3D Consortium on Twitter
	(1030 tweets, 1268 following, 983 followers)
	https://twitter.com/Web3Dconsortium

The ISO-Web3D relationship is strong and effective.  It has been a wonderful and productive week.

I expect that many project-oriented Web3D Consortium member strategies can find great benefit by applying all this strategic information.  The value of Web3D Consortium membership continues to increase.

Questions feedback suggestions and improvement are always welcome. Thanks for considering these many emerging opportunities.