[X3D-Public] multi-user VR

Dave A dave at realmofconcepts.com
Wed Sep 18 11:18:31 PDT 2013

Chiming in because we are also working on X3D-based MU VR, and want to
interoperate with other (no walled gardens!)

There's more than one way to monetize as you know, and I don't see how
you need to pick just one. Some folks will pay a fee (one time or
subscription) to avoid ads (in their personal experience or throughout
their world), while others will accept ads as a way to go 'free'. And
with VR, the ads don't have to be as obnoxious as 2D popup ads and bugs,
then can be in-scene assets you see in the real world anyway (billboards
and other product placement). In fact, as annoying as ads are in the
real world, they would look just as natural in VR, and can be targeted
and all that stuff. If your world would otherwiser be devoid of
real-world ads (a space sim or Middle Earth or something), then splash
screen intros might suffice. If such infrastructure to be somehow
donated (government sponsored, or a deep-pocket corporate sponsor), or
you have 'fund drives' like PBS does, that might help.

Anyway, let's make this. Let's get it done.

Dave A.