[X3D-Public] support for .bmp image format

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 18:25:52 PDT 2013

Dave A wrote:
> I don't know if I would recommend it (I might recommend PNG), but I
> would expect all players to support all such common formats.

I would not include BMP in the X3D spec, recommending PNG and JPG is
much better IMHO --- better formats, better specifications etc.

And note that *full* support for BMP is not really that common. Things
like RLE-compressed BMPs, bottom-up DIB, BI_JPEG / BI_PNG compression
inside (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183381%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
) are not universally supported. These features are also very seldom
used, so most people don't notice it.

Michalis