[X3D-Public] HTML5-X3D meeting minutes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jan 19 09:15:27 PST 2010

Here are minutes from today's HTML5-X3D call.

Attendees:  Anita, Len, Joe, Don, (briefly) Johannes.  Regrets John.
We met 0810-0910 pacific on 19 January 2010.

1.  We had a brief discussion of the excellent new capability shown
by World of Warcraft export of models to both X3D, and also directly
to X3D embedded in HTML for use with X3DOM.

	http://www.youtube.com/user/tobold47
	http://www.wowmodelviewer.org
	http://www.x3dom.org then "blog" tab

2.  We discussed outreach goals and whether there is adequate guidance
on the Web3D website for documenting how to support X3D with HTML.
Our documentation will cover primarily HTML4 and HTML5.

Audiences for this guidance:
- X3D player builders, for use as either plugin local application
- website administrators configuring HTTP servers
- X3D/HTML authors
- End users, both expert and novice

Next week we will review what guidance already exists and what is
needed.  Len will describe what is already on website/wiki, Don
will describe what is in the X3D Resources.  We will then decide
on next steps are needed to provide guidance - we have needed for
some time to communicate a better story to everyone.

Let's also plan to have outreach teleconferences for European and
West Coast player builders on Tuesday 23 February to discuss whether
our documentation covers everything they need.  We can meet earlier
and later during the day to ensure that they join and discuss.

For Website administrators, we need to address
- proper guidance regarding MIME types
- up-to-date status at IETF
- whether the proper configuration settings settings are shipping
	with Apache and IIS

For authors, we should probably invite people from the public
mailing list to a special briefing teleconference.  NPS will
set up to record this - perhaps some kind of webinar is possible.

3.  Regarding HTML5 group, we still need to discuss what the next
steps are relating to our proposal.  I am still working on it.

4.  Joe has been working to build a generic example illustrating use
of external SAI javascript in HTML page that talks to an X3D scene.
So far he has one example that doesn't work properly in the various
players.  Len has a private example for a client that tested and work
ing in Octaga/Internet Explorer.

Please post what examples you can.  We will meet later this week to
review what is available and see if we can provide a good external
example that is player+browser independent.  That special Scene
Access Interface (SAI) example-test call is Friday 1000 pacific.

Our next regular meeting is in 1 week, Tuesday 26 January 2010
0800 pacific (1700 Germany).

All comments welcome, thanks for the steady progress.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br           brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman