[X3D-Public] HTML5 X3D working group minutes - February 23 2010

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Fri Feb 26 07:35:43 PST 2010

What: 		Web3D HTML5 meeting February 23, 2010
present: 		John Stewart, Johannes Behr, Joe Williams, Don Brutzman,
Anita Havelle, Leonard Daly.
absent:

Web page: 	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5

Joe: Another message from Chris Marrin has been received on the html5-
public list.

It would appear that Chris Marrin is trying to diminish some of the
X3D arguments that are coming his way, by stating that:

"What I'm getting at here is that, if designed today, I think 3D for
the web would be a much different and much simpler set of nodes than
we see in X3D. That's why I say that WebGL is a good first step. It
allows us to take the most appropriate steps toward the best 3D
solution."

(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0760.html)

JohnS: Concern; we have lots of formats (jpg, pdf, etc) that can be
used in html, or can run in standalone applications.  Why should 3D
graphics be different? We should have a 3D graphics format that is not
dependent on HTML technologies.

Don - Chris does not mention that all these things (CSS, DOM, etc)
were discussed back when VRML/X3D was being defined, but were rejected.

Johannes; in General not a bad email… we should concentrate more on
DOM integration issues and so on. In the last paragraph  he mentions
stuff like mini-x3d - stripped down version of x3d.

Johannes - WebGL, no knowledge of image configuration - needed for
proper layering so that one can properly push images on top of
triangles. Ongoing discussion, will give an update for next week.

Johannes - Will respond to Chris Marrin's email, probably Wednesday.

ACTION:  Profile review for HTML X3D …. put mobile in there, too…. for
Mobile workshop which is a month before SIGGRAPH.    (in Korea end of
June timframe, before ISO meeting.)

------

John - Henri Sivonen - still have an outstanding email on the html5
list; been busy and down with flu; anyone want to step up?

Don - will do right now.

(here is the reply: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0779.html)

------
Johannes; Have new BMW data demo - data from Bitmanagement, will need
to ask for permission from Bitmanagement to see if we can put this
data on-line.

Johannes: it interact through DOM and Scenegraph - showcase
application prototypes.

Johannes: We have a couple of other showcases coming up.

--------

Don; Reference: Neil Trevett at Khronos discussed  in reference to
WebGL: "intend to write plugin for internet explorer"…

Johannes: then we are back to plugins again…might as well use plugins
closer to desired functionality.

Johannes , O3D is probably better than WebGL in terms of performance.

------

Anita - I believe that we should focus on our message, lets not think
about countering arguments, but advertise at what we are good at.

Anita; can the WIKI have a FAQ pointing to answers - it seems that we
answer the same questions again and again. We should collect all the
questions and put the answers in the FAQ.

ACTION: (repeat from last week)  we need to raise ISSUE;

ACTION: (repeat from last week) we should write a Web3D consortium
members submission.

ACTION: JohnS - action send Anita source text files for hiperia 3d
interview and 3d-test.com interview.

ACTION: Don, all, talk about timeframe for a "we support X3D in all
browsers" advertising splash.
John A. Stewart
Team Leader: Networked Virtual and Augmented Reality
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
         Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
          Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
          Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca