[X3D-Public] International Digital Publishing Forum (formerly Open eBook Forum)

John F. Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Tue Aug 17 18:30:38 PDT 2010

Hello,

Behaviors in Web3D is an active research field. So you might want to wait a
decade or so before you choose an archive format that can be routinely
retrieved for a useful purpose.

You can archive 3-D data by exporting to one of the market leader formats and
then writing the format to a hard drive or optical disk. I consider DXF, DWG,
STEP, IGES, 3DS, LWO, OBJ and VRML as the most likely export candidates. If
the native file format to be archived is a specialized format, you have a
conversion problem so you save to disk and then try to simplify the retrieval
process.

Note: Where is X3D in my list. I stated "export" not conversion. This is an
archive process. Almost every 3-D modeler exports VRML and a lot of CAD
systems also export VRML. Over the years more data sources have added KML,
COLLADA and X3D. Then there is conversion of a copy of the archived data. At
some point, the archiver will have to decide if the converted data is
equivalent to the original archived data.

Okino Polytrans seems to be now X3D based natively and converts almost
everything to everything else of interest. If your format is not handled by
Polytrans, you are in a lot of trouble. You then need to have access to the
original application and select an export option to a modern format that is
relatively easy to retrieve. There are lists of specialty convertors.

Example on the Macintosh: How do you retrieve a Macwrite [word processing]
file archived under OS9. Image example is retrieving a PICT file.

Archive is not backup. Of course, if you backed up the 3-D data 20 years
ago............ How do you read 20 year old tapes?

So, yes people care about archiving 3-D data. Their descendants just have an
easy or hard time retrieving it. The preferred format is what your descendants
can read.

John F. Richardson