Thank you for joining the the Web3D Consortium and being a part of our team. Today, the Web3D Consortium is utilizing its broad-based industry support to develop the X3D specification, designed for sharing interactive 3D graphics on the Web. Join the Consortium to stay up to date with the latest happenings in the open-source 3D graphics community.
The Web3D Consortium strives to provide great benefits to it's members in the area of 3D computer graphics standards. Some of our benefits include: Member Access, Working Group Participation, Early Access to our Specifications, Speaking Opportunities, Joint Marketing Initiatives and Opportunities for Consortium Leadership. A listing and explaination of Member Benefits are available on line.
Currently active X3D work includes multiple standardization initiatives:
- X3D Evolution of Capabilities (version 3.4) tracks the steady improvements of all 3D graphics. (now being merged into 4.0)
- X3D HTML5 and Open Web Platform (OWP) Integration (version 4.0) for deployment in any Web page
- X3D Mixed and Augmented Reality (MAR) (version 4.1) for emerging VR-AR devices and user interfaces
- Humanoid Animation (H-Anim) face, hands and motion capture, also suitable for medical use
- X3D Compressed Binary Encoding for smaller, faster and streamable deployment
The Web3D Consortium Strategy is based on the Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics International Standard to accomplish these important goals.
All Web3D standardization efforts are part of our Working Group efforts and all decision are consensus based.
Our standards also receive public scrutiny and comment as milestone requirements prior to formal ISO approval as International Standards.
Web3D Consortium membership is fully open to industry, government agencies, academia and individual professionals.
The Web3D Consortium builds and maintains widely applicable standards through well-coordinated liaison partnerships with International Standards Organization (ISO), Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
See "Web3D Flyer" attachment with About Web3D Consoritum page.